Say Yes to Yacon: 10 Easy Ways to Incorporate It into Your Diet
The many health benefits of Yacon, also known as Peruvian ground apple, are well known. Ideal for weight loss and diabetic diets, this crunchy tuber is rich in fibre and makes for the perfect low-calorie snack. Read on for 10 easy ways you can make this delicious superfood part of your everyday diet.
- Craving for something sweet? Try having Yacon. Simply peel and slice one tuber for a refreshingly sweet mid-afternoon snack.
- Instead of having apples in your Waldorf Salad, switch it up with chunks of Yacon. When preparing the salad, remember to add Yacon last, sprinkled with a little lemon juice to prevent it from turning brown.
- For a quick and healthy appetiser, serve grated Yacon with carrot strips and edamame peas. Finish off with a drizzle of soya sauce.
- Yacons also go well with Indian curry. Give the dish an update by throwing in Yacon chunks, chicken and an assortment of diced carrots and peas.
- Prepare Yacon Chinese-style by stir-frying shredded Yacon with chopped garlic, chilli and vinegar for a dish that’s equal parts sweet, spicy and sour.
- Mix shredded Yacon with pinapple slices for a refreshing summertime salad.
- Toss grated Yacon and carrot in mustard vinaigrette with a handful of sunflower seeds, South American-style. Wrap it in a burrito or pair with brown rice for a tropical twist.
- Stuff Vietnamese rice paper rolls with Yacon, shrimp and other julienned vegetables (e.g. cucumber, carrot, capsicum) and serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
- For a guilt-free treat, swap out the caramel sauce in desserts and use Yacon syrup instead. This sweet-tasting ingredient can be found in local health food stores.
- Drizzle dry oats with Yacon syrup and top with cinnamon powder for a delicious breakfast cereal mix.